I’m an engineering leader with a passion for cloud computing (IaaS, PaaS), distributed systems, big data, and security. I have experience leading and delivering successful cross-functional teams and projects.
I am a seasoned public speaker — having given talks at many industry-leading conferences such as O’Reilly Fluent, QCon, Node.js Interactive, and Container Camp.
I’m currently leading the creation of the next-generation Netflix API, which processes and orchestrates all requests from devices to backend systems. This effort is a significant cross-functional project which involves orchestration between many teams and stakeholders.
I’ve contributed to the industry leader in cloud computing at Amazon Web Services. I was part of the team that launched AWS IAM and created a horizontally scalable metering platform used by all AWS services. At Joyent, I was part of the core team that built a public cloud (SmartDataCenter) and object store (Manta) from scratch.
I have a proven track record of owning and leading cross-functional technical projects including design, implementation, testing, operations, and deployment.
My professional experience has been in the infrastructure as a service (IaaS) space with a focus on scaling out distributed systems from hundreds of request per second(RPS) and megabytes of data to millions of RPS and terabytes of data.
I am also the lead maintainer of the open source REST framework Restify.
Principal Engineer/Architect at Netflix.com
2014 – Present
Currently leading the creation of the next-generation Netflix API, which processes and orchestrates all requests from devices to backend systems. This effort is a significant cross-functional project which involves orchestration between many teams and stakeholders. Core technologies used in this stack include AWS, Docker, Node.js, gRPC, ReactiveSocket, RXNetty, and Falcor.
Senior Software Engineer at Joyent.com
2011 – 2014
Launched the Joyent Manta object store and compute service. Manta services I architected, designed, and implemented:
- Highly available automated database fail-over system built using Node.js, PostgreSQL, Zookeeper, and ZFS. (github.com/joyent/manatee)
- Horizontally scalable authentication service built using Node.js, redis, and LDAP.
- Manta metadata partitioning service utilizing Node.js over a custom TCP protocol, built on top of a custom consistent hashing library and LevelDB.
- LDAP replication service built with Node.js and LDAP.js
Consulted with the Joyent-sponsored Node.js project lead on features of Node.js.
Senior Software Engineer at Amazon Web Services
July 2009 – October 2011
- Launched AWS Identity and Access Management and AWS Multi-Factor Authentication.
- Scaled out AWS metering stack from a traditional home grown relational database solution to one built on top of Hadoop that handled an exponentially growing workload with 99.9% up time.
- Observable REST RPC framework. (http://restify.com/)
- A consistent hashing library for Node.js. (github.com/yunong/node-fash)
- A functional Node.js zookeeper client. (github.com/yunong/node-zookeeper)
- A pure Node.js implementation of a LDAP replicator. (github.com/yunong/node-ldapjs-sync)
- A Node.js leader election library. (github.com/yunong/node-leader)
Selected Talks and Publications
- The “Paved Road” PaaS for Microservices at Netflix
- Solaris (Illumos, SmartOS), ZFS, Dtrace, Linux
- PostgreSQL, MySQL, Redis, LeveDB.
- Java, Node.js, C, SQL, bash.
- Node.js, Ruby on Rails, Restify.
- Docker, Zookeeper, Hadoop, vim.
University of Waterloo
Honours BASc, Computer Engineering, 2009